In August 2018, USIL Educational Corporation made the decision to establish a social responsibility program, committing to carry out high-impact and sustained work in the Campesino community of Occopata, located at 3,941 meters above sea level in the district of Santiago, Province and Department of the Cusco, under a model that is sustainable and replicable over time, articulating the time and talent of the employees and students of the educational corporation with the passion and desire of local, regional, national and global actors who aspire to combat rural poverty monetary and multidimensional in an effective and efficient way.
In its philosophy of articulating successful experiences in rural development, the USIL Corporation convened PROSYNERGY, in order to implement appropriate technologies that generate added value for the integral and sustainable development of families in the Occopata community under a concept of “Living Lab ”Or“ Yachaywasi Eco Tecnológico Comunal ”, taking into account the lessons learned in the implementation of the Yachaywasis Eco Tecnológico model and the progress of the USIL social responsibility program in the face of the challenges and development potential presented by said community.
The objectives and results of the project are summarized below
Achieve that the economic and social actors of the Occopata community implement an initial package of sustainable and high-impact technologies for the generation of economic, social and environmental value in the families of the community as part of the comprehensive and sustainable development model promoted by the Social Responsibility Program of the USIL Corporation.
- Ensure that the agricultural producers of Occopata have a reservoir and distribution network connected to their current technical irrigation systems that guarantee them a continuous supply of irrigation water for the sustainability of their productive initiatives.
- Achieve that the association of women artisans of Occopata implement a kit of artisanal processing technologies for the generation of added value of sheep wool available in the community in the form of tops, felts and threads that allow it to improve quality, productivity and profitability of their products.
- Ensure that the Occopata community experiences the use of renewable electric energy by installing a photovoltaic kit at the level of the community’s main whereabouts for night lighting and recharging their cell phones.
- Achieve that the high school of alternation of the community of Occopata implement technologies that improve the productivity and profitability of its guinea pig rearing system and the organic production of vegetables and vegetables under phytoldo.
- Achieve that the secondary school of alternation of the community of Occopata implement a kit of hot springs and solar cookers that allow teachers and students to experience the use of renewable energy for productive and social purposes.
In order to provide lighting and cell phone charging service, the Occopata community’s whereabouts were equipped with a 100-watt photovoltaic solar energy kit that allows it to be illuminated at night with 4 LED spotlights and the availability of equipment cell phone charger with 10 USB ports 5V output type.
Association of artisans
In order to diversify its production of handicrafts, the association of women artisans was implemented and trained in the use of the following equipment for the artisanal processing of the existing sheep’s wool in the community: Escarmenadora, washing machine with a 100-liter solar water heater, carding machine, electric spinner with solar energy, kit for dyeing and kit for making felts which will allow them to process and give added value to the wool of the sheep existing in their community in the form of tops, threads and felts of high commercial value.
Cultivation of grasses and phytoldos for strawberries area
In order to guarantee the supply of irrigation water for the forage cultivation fields and for the strawberry plant crops, with the support of the community, a 190 m3 reservoir and a water distribution network were installed to supply the irrigation systems of 75 farming families.
Alternation High School
In order to achieve more efficient production, with the support of the educational community, the structure of the sticks and agrofilm of the existing phytoldo was changed and an automated drip irrigation system for the production of the vegetable garden of vegetables and vegetables was implemented.
In order to promote 100% organic production of the organic vegetable garden, an initial kit of 4 vermicomposter boxes was implemented for the production of compost and humus, based on the organic waste produced at the school.
In order to achieve efficient production, the guinea pig shed was refurbished, painted and implemented with a health care kit, as well as semi-automated racks and drinking troughs.
In order to guarantee the production of alfalfa all year round for the adequate feeding of the guinea pigs, and with the support of the educational community, a raised tank and a technified sprinkler irrigation system with 5 modules of mobile sprinklers were installed.
In order to show the art and culture of Occopata, and with the support of USIL students and the owner families, she relied on the stuccoing and painting of 25 model homes, through artistic designs validated with the community itself.
Cultural Interpretation Center
In order to provide hot water and comfort for visitors to the Occopata Cultural Interpretation Center, the repair and implementation of accessories in the men’s and women’s bathrooms was carried out, as well as the installation of hot water in the showers by using Eco-efficient vacuum tube solar baths.
In order to provide adequate accommodation to visitors, the ceiling and walls were painted and the 3-bedroom grooved wood floors were refurbished, as well as the balconies and façade of the multipurpose center of the community of Occopata.